Skip to main content

Hocus Pocus and the All-New Sequel Book Review

Hocus Pocus and The All-New Sequel
by A. W. Jantha

Hocus Pocus

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis: Shortly after moving from California to Salem, Massachusetts, Max Dennison finds himself in hot water when he accidentally releases a coven of witches, the Sanderson sisters, from the afterlife. Max, his sister, and his new friends (human and otherwise) must find a way to stop the witches from carrying out their evil plan and remaining on earth to torment Salem for all eternity.

My Overview of Hocus Pocus:

I have to be frank. I didn't know if I really wanted to read this book. I didn't know how the story would go with Hocus Pocus. It was one of those moments when I asked myself if I should read a book based off of a movie that was one that I grew up with. In '93 when this movie came out I was 6 years old. This was a movie that when you see it that you just manage to fall in love with it for the first time. However, a book is different. It's not like this movie was made based off of this book. The book came second. However, I did enjoy this book and then to learn a few new facts along the way was amazing as well. I loved the added facts that had been thrown in and they were always perfectly timed details. Never a last minute thought they were details that were worked into the story lovely.

The All-New Sequel

Star Rating 2.5 out of 5 Stars

Synopsis: Twenty-five years later, Max and Allison's seventeen-year-old daughter, Poppy, finds herself face-to-face with the Sanderson sisters in all their sinister glory. When Halloween celebrations don't quite go as planned, it's a race against time as Poppy and her friends fight to save her family and all of Salem from the witches' latest vile scheme.

My Overview of The All-New Sequel:

I'm sure you've noticed by now that I have given out two separate ratings for the same book. Why? Because this book is two separate stories. This book is Hocus Pocus and then The All-New Sequel. It's not Hocus Pocus The All-New Sequel. So I was pretty touch and go for a little while with this book. I mean I love the original story. I was worried honestly that this was not going to live up to it's predecessor. You've also probably already noticed that one was given five stars and the other two point five stars. It's not because I didn't love it. I enjoyed some aspects of the story. The fact that Poppy is part of the LGBT+ community. (I don't mean to be rude when only posting that much. I'm just going to be out in the open and honest when I say I don't know the whole thing.) This is a great add to a character who in the day and age is not something that isn't uncommon now. I think the other thing that I love is seeing Mary come into her own. Yes, she's one of the original Sanderson Sisters but I think that seeing in the book Mary finally not being the for lack of a better term idiot around Winnie that she isn't what she seems. As I've continued to read this I've enjoyed it but I haven't loved it. Do I suggest giving it an honest try? Yes, I always suggest giving a book an honest try. You may love it you never know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A-Z Author Year End

   I will be doing this as a mixture of first and last names because some letters are harder than others. A - Alan Gratz - Refugee B -  Blanka Lipinska - 365 Days C -  C. C. Monroe - To Have and To Hold D -  E -  F -  G -  Gratz, Alan - Prisoner B-3087 H -  Harrison, Ava - Ruthless Monarch I - Isaly, Dana - Games We Play J - Jordan Marie - Jingle My Balls K -  Kaufman, Amie - Aurora Rising L - Law, S. E. - My FiancĂ©e's Dad M -  Sarah J. Maas - A Court of Thorns and Roses  N -  Negi Haruba - Quintessential Quintuplets O -  P -  Peckham, Caroline - Zodiac Academy: The Awakening Q -  R -  Ruby Dixion - Ice Planet Barbarians S -  Shouoto, Aya - Demon Prince of Momochi House T -  T. L. Smith - Black U - Ts u nemi, Aosa - Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor V -  Valenti, Susanne - Zodiac Academy: Ruthless Fae W -  Waco Ioka - Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits X -  A...

All About Illuminae - Book Review

Star Rating: 5 out of 5 stars Synopsis: This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do. This afternoon, her planet was invaded. The year is 2575, and two rival mega corporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit. But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak...

Is Garden Grill Worth It?

Photo found via Google Search I feel that this particular restaurant for many at Disney World is hit or miss and the reasons for this theory are numerous. We have eaten there three times before and to be honest this was a restaurant that we agreed was one we would like to keep in our rotation but not one to do every trip to Disney. We like to try new restaurants when we go every year. Well in June of 2017 we were planning a very large vacation with my parents and my best friend's family. We had 10 people going to Disney World together. A large party right? A large party at Disney should be a nightmare but that was not the case with Disney. So it should not be surprising that Disney handled our party easily. 6 adults and 4 children. The children's ages were in the range of 5 through 8. Two boys and two girls. My husband and I had the two boys, at the time their ages were 8 and 5. My best friend and her husband had the two girls, at the time their ages were 6 and 7. It wa...